Super Roast Brisket
Used with permission from the The New Food Processor Bible
Alterations should be made to fit with your dietary needs. Please consult with your medical team before you attempt to make this recipe.
Super Roast Brisket. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.
5 to 6 lb (2.3 to 2.7 kg) brisket, well trimmed
2 or 3 cloves garlic
1 small onion, halved
2 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup cola
3 Tbsp ketchup
2 to 3 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place brisket in large, sprayed roasting pan.
- Steel Blade: Process garlic and onion until minced.
- Add remaining ingredients and process a few seconds longer to blend.
- Pour over brisket, making sure to cover all surfaces.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Marinate in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, or up to 24 hours. Baste occasionally.
- Bake, covered, in preheated 300°F oven for 5 hours, until very tender (about 1 hour per lb).
- When cool, refrigerate. Slices better the next day. Remove hardened fat and discard.
- 374 calories per serving, 9.7 g carbohydrates, 0.2 g fiber, 39 g protein, 18.7 g fat (5.1 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 607 mg sodium, 415 mg potassium, 4 mg iron, 131 mg calcium, 320 mg phosphorus
- Slow Cooker Method:
- Combine all ingredients in sprayed slow cooker insert and marinate up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Place insert in slow cooker and cook, covered, on Low for 10 to 12 hours.
A tried-and true favorite and an excellent holiday dish. Keeps 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheats and/or freezes well.
To download all of the recipes to your iPod, please visit the Recipe iPod page.