Sweet Jerk Grilled Pineapple Dip
Used with permission from the new cookbook
Orgasmic Appetizers by Shari Darling
Alterations should be made to fit with your dietary needs. Please
consult with your medical team before you attempt to make this recipe.
Sweet Jerk Grilled Pineapple Dip: Serves 4–6
4 1/2-inch-thick (1 cm) pineapple slices, peeled and cored
1 large shallot, peeled and cut in half, root intact
2 Tbsp honey, heated
1 Tbsp canola or other neutral-flavored oil
1/2 cup Orgasmic Culinary Creations Sweet Jerk dry rub or substitute Jamaican Seasoning
1 lb 500 g cream cheese, at room temperature
2 Tbsp green onion, minced
1 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
plantain chips, tortilla chips, crostini or flatbreads for dipping
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
- Toss the pineapple and shallot with honey and oil in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle in the Sweet Jerk to evenly coat the mixture.
- Grill the pineapple and shallot until they’re nicely browned.
- Place them in a clean bowl to cool.
- When they’re cool, dice the pineapple and shallot and fold them into the softened cream cheese.
- Stir in the green onion and cilantro.
- Add more Sweet Jerk, if necessary, to your personal taste.
- Place the dip in a serving bowl and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve it with plantain chips, tortilla chips, crostini or flatbreads.
The predominant building blocks are sweetness from the pineapple and heat and spice from the Sweet Jerk.
The sweetness of an off-dry rose harmonizes with the pineapple and nicely offsets the heat and spice.
Choose an off-dry rose with tropical flavors to work with the pineapple flavor.
A good friend of mine, Chef David Franklin, developed this recipe using my Orgasmic Culinary Creations Sweet Jerk dry rub. I make this dip and take it to some of the local gourmet food stores that sell my dry rub. Store customers try the dip, moan and then purchase a package of the dry rub. It’s a crowd pleaser.
To download all of the recipes to your iPod, please visit the Recipe iPod page.