Used with permission from Whitecap Books
Alterations should be made to fit with your dietary needs.
Please consult with your medical team before you attempt to make this recipe.
Jam Parcels. Serves 4 (makes 24 parcels)
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
One 16 oz (454 g) package square wonton wrappers
1 egg, whisked for egg wash
2 Tbsp (30 mL) raspberry jam
1/4cup (60 mL) icing sugar for dusting
- Place the vegetable oil in a large pot, no more than one-third of the way up to prevent splashing or boiling over.
- Heat the oil to 350°f (175°c). Line a baking tray with three layers of paper towels.
- Place the wonton wrappers on a clean, dry work surface and brush them with the egg wash.
- Place 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of jam in the centre of each wonton, then gently lift the edges up and twist to create a parcel.
- Pinch tightly around the base to secure.
- In batches, place the wontons in the heated oil to fry until golden brown.
- Once the wonton parcels are golden brown, about 2 minutes, remove them from the oil and place them on the paper towel to drain off any excess oil.
- Repeat this process with the remaining wontons.
- The jam will turn into an oozing hot syrup, so please allow them to cool slightly before serving to prevent burning your mouth.
- Once the wonton jam parcels have cooled slightly, dust them with icing sugar and serve.
Jam parcels—I absolutely love these and making them gives me the same rush as making a stuffed pasta or wonton.
To download all of the recipes to your iPod, please visit the Recipe iPod page.