Grilled Vegetable Rolls Stuffed with Feta Cheese, Pine Nuts and Mint
Used with permission from the New Sonoma Diet
Alterations should be made to fit with your dietary needs. Please
consult with your medical team before you attempt to make this recipe.
Grilled Vegetable Rolls Stuffed with Feta Cheese, Pine Nuts and Mint. Yield: 32 rolls (4 rolls per serving
1 red pepper
1/2 pound small zucchini or yellow squash (about 2)
1/2 pound Japanese eggplant (about 2)
1/2 ounce extra-virgin olive oil
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
4 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
1 ounce pine nuts, toasted
1 1/2 tablespoons mint, chopped
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 scallion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat grill on high.
- 2. Place the pepper on the grill and roast until charred on all sides.
- Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let steam for 15 minutes. Peel; remove stem and seeds. Cut into 1-inch-thick strips.
- 3. Trim ends from squashes and eggplants. Slice lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes. Pat dry.
- Drizzle with olive oil and grill over high heat, cooking on both sides until crisp-tender, for 3–4 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack in a single layer until ready to use.
- This will keep them from overcooking.
- The vegetables can be prepared the day before or you can use leftover grilled vegetables.
- 4. Combine the feta and ricotta cheese. Stir in 1/2 ounce chopped nuts, 1 tablespoon mint, zest, lemon juice, and scallion. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Lay 3 1/4-inch-long pieces of the grilled vegetables on a flat surface.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Place 1 teaspoon of filling at the end of each vegetable.
- Roll the vegetable around the filling. Do not roll too tightly. Place seam side down on a platter.
- 6. Garnish with remaining 1/2 ounce pine nuts and 1/2 tablespoon mint.
- Replace the mint and scallions with 1 tablespoon finely chopped sundried tomato and 1 tablespoon basil.
- Replace the feta cheese, mint, and scallions with 3 ounces goat cheese, 1 tablespoon chopped roasted red peppers, and 1 tablespoon basil.
- Replace feta cheese with ricotta cheese; add 1 tablespoon chopped capers and 1 tablespoon chopped olives.
- Culinary Note
- Zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant that are approximately 1 inch wide and 7 inches long are ideal for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 25 calories, 1 g protein, 1.5 g fat (.7 g saturated fat), 1.5 g carbohydrate, .7 g fiber, 3.5 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium, 0 glycemic load
To download all of the recipes to your iPod, please visit the Recipe iPod page.