Used with permission from Chatelaine
Alterations should be made to fit with your dietary needs. Please
consult with your medical team before you attempt to make this recipe.
Gingerbread Cookies. Makes 50 cookies
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground allspice, salt and baking soda
1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup (175 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (75 mL) fancy molasses
- Preparation time 20 minutes
- Refrigeration time 30 minutes
- Standing time 5 minutes
- Baking time 7 minutes per batch
- In a large bowl, using a fork, stir flour with ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon, beat butter with sugar for 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg, then molasses.
- Make a well in centre of flour mixture, then pour in molasses mixture.
- Stir until most of molasses is absorbed.
- Gently knead until dough is an even colour.
- Divide into 4 portions.
- 2. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disc.
- Wrap separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- 3. When ready to bake, remove dough from refrigerator.
- Let stand at room temperature until soft enough to roll, 5 to 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly spray or oil a baking sheet.
- Place a disc of dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper.
- Roll dough no thicker than 1/4 inch (5 mm).
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutter.
- Place on baking sheet about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart.
- 4. Bake in centre of preheated oven just until edges begin to darken, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Get ahead Wrap each disc of dough (Step 2) separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 week,
or overwrap with foil and freeze for up to 1 month.
- Store baked cookies in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Nutrients per 2-inch (5 cm) cookie 1 g protein
- 2 g fat 10 g carbohydrates 0 g fibre 1 mg iron
- 11 mg calcium 41 mg sodium 62 calories
- Ginger chocolate sparkle cookie
- Sift cup (125 mL) cocoa powder into flour mixture. Prepare dough.
- Roll 1 heaping tsp (7 mL) into a -inch (1 cm) ball. Place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate until cold, about 15 minutes.
- Place cup (50 mL) granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- In another small bowl, stir cup (50 mL) icing sugar with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cocoa powder.
- Roll cold balls in granulated sugar, then in cocoa mixture.
- Return to oiled baking sheet, placing 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart.
- Bake until tops of cookies are firm, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining dough. Makes 70 cookies
To download all of the recipes to your iPod, please visit the Recipe iPod page.