Deep Freeze Lavender Honey Nougatine Glace
Used with permission from Bistro 101
Alterations should be made to fit with your dietary needs.
Please consult with your medical team before you attempt to make this recipe.
"Deep Freeze" (Lavender Honey Nougatine Glace)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup almond flakes
2 cups sugar
2 tbsp lavender honey
6 egg whites, whipped to soft peaks
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
6 egg yolks
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1/2 vanilla pod
1 cup candied fruit, chopped and soaked in kirsch
2 1/2 cups whipped cream
- Caramelize sugar and water until golden in colour.
- Add almonds and stir until toasted.
- Pour mixture over parchment paper, let cool and then crush. Reserve.
- Italian Meringue
- Pour sugar, honey, and water into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Decrease temperature to 230F/115C (use candy thermometer).
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites to form soft peaks.
- Bring sugar mixture up to 240F/121C, remove from heat and pour into whipped egg whites.
- Set aside and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Crème Anglaise
- Cream together 1/4 cup sugar and egg yolks until pale yellow.
- In saucepan, combine vanilla pod, milk, cream and 1 tbsp of sugar, bring to a boil.
- Infuse for 30 minutes.
- Pour vanilla milk into egg yolks, whisking continuously.
- Return to saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sauce coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain and cook in an ice bath.
- To prepare Deep Freeze
- Fold together crushed nougatine, italian meringue, crème anglaise, candied fruit and whipped cream.
- Pour into moulds, containers or cookie cutters placed on a cookie sheet to freeze. Serve when frozen!
To download all of the recipes to your iPod, please visit the Recipe iPod page.