Apple Flaxseed Squares
Used with permission from the new cookbook
Everything Flax edited by Linda Braun
Alterations should be made to fit with your dietary needs. Please
consult with your medical team before you attempt to make this recipe.
Apple Flaxseed Squares. Yield: 30 squares
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup whole flaxseed
1 cup shortening
1 egg yolk, beaten
plus enough milk to make 2/3 cup liquid
2 cups cornflakes, crushed to make 1 cup crumbs
4 large or 6 small apples to make 5 cups of sliced apples
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg white 1
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp hot water (150°F)
1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
Instructions and Nutritional Information
- 1.Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray a 15- x 10-inch (40 x 25 cm) baking sheet with a non-stick cooking spray.
- 2.In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and flaxseed.
- 3.Cut in the shortening with a knife or pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly.
- 4.Stir in the egg and milk until a soft dough forms. Divide the dough in half.
- 5.On a clean, lightly floured work surface, roll one half of the dough into a 15- x 10-inch (40 x 25 cm) rectangle to fit the baking sheet. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- 6.Sprinkle the cornflake crumbs overtop.
- 7.Peel, pare and slice the apples then spread the apple slices on top of the crumbs.
- 8.Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on top.
- 9.Roll out the other half of the dough and lay it on top of the apples to cover them. Crimp the edges all around to seal.
- 10.Beat the egg white until frothy and brush it over the top of the crust.
- 11.Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cool.
- 12.In a small bowl, mix together the icing sugar, water and vanilla extract. Stir well and add a few drops of water if needed to form a drizzle.
- 13.Use a spoon to drizzle icing over the entire rectangle. Cut into 30 squares.
- These can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Nutrient values per serving (1 square)
- Calories 117
- Protein 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates 12.9 g
- Fibre 0.8 g
- Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated 1.6 g
- Monounsaturated 2.7 g
- Polyunsaturated 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 7 mg
- Folate 7 mcg
- Potassium 50 mg
- Sodium 189 mg
To download all of the recipes to your iPod, please visit the Recipe iPod page.